IIBA Implementation Manager - #835028
Mission for this Position
At Baffinland, we work and live beyond the Arctic Circle, mining iron ore at our Mary River Property, located in the Qikiqtani Region of Nunavut on Baffin Island; one of the world's most captivating and seldom seen destinations. We are a unique company with a strong management who have amassed specialty experience on northern mining projects through all phases of Inuit consultation, permitting, construction and operation. Our workforce brings together the modern practice of safe, sustainable mining and the enduring value of a traditional culture, which is rapidly advancing. The result is a work and community experience you won't find anywhere else. We are looking for people ready to share, build, and grow with our company.
Report to the VP Community & Strategic Development and work closely with various groups (Qikiqtani Inuit Association (QIA), Joint Executive Committee, Employment and Contracting Committees and Kakivak Association, etc.) to oversee the daily administration and overall implementation of the Inuit Impact Benefit Agreement (IIBA). Support strong relationships and alignment between the QIA and Baffinland as well as with all other key stakeholders.
- Accountable for oversight of all aspects of IIBA implementation and compliance within the organization, including but not limited to: reporting, development/implementation of training programs, etc.
- Accountable for supporting the development, and implementation of action plans for IIBA activities relating to areas such as business development, contracting opportunities, environmental management, training and development, recruitment, Inuit employment and Inuktitut in the workplace.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with the QIA, community groups and organizations across the North Baffin region. Act as Baffinland's liaison with the QIA IIBA Manager.
- Manage the development, organization and execution of key IIBA activities including but not limited to, the renegotiation of the IIBA (as needed), assist with the development of the IIBA Annual Work Plan and in community events such as the IIBA Annual Project Review Forum.
- Manage internal cultural awareness across the company including but not limited to training, and cultural activities to increase cultural awareness across the organization.
- Responsible for providing strategic direction regarding Inuit inclusion, employment and retention and Inuit economic participation, capacity building and business opportunities.
- Establish and manage the annual IIBA budget requirements and approve all expenditures related to the budget. Ensure collaboration with the QIA IIBA Manager on the IIBA budget.
- Provide strategic advice, make recommendations, including making relevant presentations, to senior management on strategies and programs which are critical to Baffinland's success in the area of IIBA implementation.
- Actively participate in the IIBA Joint Executive Committee, Employment Committee, Contracting Committee and other committees as required.
- Prepare reports and documents as required by committees and the VP.
- Coordinate and coach staff, management and project teams to ensure effective IIBA implementation.
- Be a committed team member of the CSD team leading and supporting activities in the communities, at site and elsewhere as required.
- Coordinate and supervise external support as required
- College Diploma preferred
- From 7-10 years' of relevant experience
- Fluency in English and Inuktitut required
- Extensive knowledge of the Inuit culture and Inuit communities required
- Working knowledge of MS Office products required
- Demonstrated strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills (oral and written)
- Ability to build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders – a team player
- Experience in reporting to a corporate and/or not-for-profit board of directors and experience in working in committee structures
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Creative problem-solving skills – a solutions oriented collaborator
- Ability to travel and represent Baffinland during in-community events and consultation
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.